R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 AM
michael.branth
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by madwestmo
hi ,

Ive been racing for around a year now and have slowly built up my equipment , i have 2 x cyclone tc's , during the winter here in england i only race indoor on carpet , but i am having lots of problems getting my car setup right.... Ive tried the standard setup in the manual and also a few off the HB website but none with any luck...
The tracks i race on are kinda small compared to the ones ive seen in america and so on , the carpet we race on is proper race carpet but cant remember the name of it (its light grey :P)

Here is what i run :

13.5t SP 3.0 motor
5000 40c Intellect lipo
Futaba 9551 servo
SP LPF v2 ESC

Normally everyone seems to use Sorex 24r tyres and tyre warmers but no additive

Its getting quite fustrating as i am relativily new to rc racing so i dont know if its me or the car lol , the car has never really seemed to do exactly what i want it too and doesnt feel stable enough to push it to the edge

Can anyone give me some help on what i can do , maybe a starting off point for the car so i know its not the car and just my bad driving lol , everyone at my club runs xray, schumachers etc so cant ask anyone locally

Thanks for any help in advance
Hi, I ve had some problems adapting to rubber/carpet racing after having raced on polished wood ( common in the UK due to space, driving style is more rally than drift- you need to go forwards to be fast!!!!)for over a year and moving to a new club. The problem I ve found is that I push the car a lot mid-corner as I tend to throw it in , but in carpet this seems to make the car 'snap' and spin out. I am guessing your car is doing something like this rather than understeering?

I found that the solution ( whilst I practice and chnage my driving style- the ultimate soultion) was to use a set-up for high traction carpet- Korey posted one a few pages back and the barry baker 13.5 KO GP set-up is also for high traction. All I am doing now is slowly dialing more steering back in to suit my style: softer ft spring, rear shocks stood up one hole etc. something that I know does work is reducing the ankerman spacer, try 2mm get used to drving then start to build up, both set-ups mentioned above suggest 4mm but I prefer 3mm.

If that doe'nt help I hope it was interesting!!!!!!

CAN some one put links to set-up's? I am not allowed to post URL's yet