R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - charging lipo rx pack
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Galeleo
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It is extremely important that you disconnect your lipo battery at the end of the day when you know you are not going to use your car. If you don't, you will run the risk of running the battery to an extremely low voltage and as a result you may not be able to charge the battery or worse it could be damaged to the to point that it will puff or burn up on the next charge.

Your radio gear will draw a small amount of voltage even though it is turned off. Its this voltage drain that could damage the battery. All it takes is leaving the battery connected over night!

I learned this the hard way! Learn from my mistake, open your box and physically disconnect your battery when done.

Also it is a bad bad bad idea to charge your lipo in your vehicle. You cannot monitor the charge and if the pack starts to puff, you wont see it. If the battery catches fire you run the risk of burning up your vehicle or worse, your whole house.

Always remove lipos from your vehicle when done, and store them in a container that is fire resistant. I always charge mine in a steel container with a lid near by and a fire extinguisher and NEVER in the house.

Lipos are safe but if they aren't charged or handled/stored properly, they can be a hazard.

Just some food for thought