R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rnd_tang
Hi everyone,

I m getting alot of tweaking(?) in my car, when I pull full throttle it just goes crazy left right left right real quick. I can never get the steering right, if I turn full left, it will centre pulling to the left, if I turn full right, it will centre pulling to the right.

I have noticed that the top deck is slightly too long and warping the bottom abit. Will be filing that down as soon as I get some time.

Just in case that doesnt fix my issue, anyone got anymore tips for things I should watch out for?

Thanks!
I too like to file the ends of my top deck a bit to make sure they're not binding on the bulkheads. When you mount the top deck, push down on both shock towers until the chassis is flat on the pit board, then crank down the screws. Also, make sure your servo saver doesn't have any slop, that too will cause the steering to be erratic. The easiest way to test is to turn the car on so the servo is holding center, and then try and turn your wheels by hand and watch the saver. A tiny bit of play from the ball cups and linkages is okay, but if you see play where the halves of the servo saver come together, it's time to replace it. Buy a few spares, the Tamiya savers are great, but don't last forever.

It might also be worth watching all Jilles' videos on the 416. He has a pretty elaborate process he goes through mounting the bulkheads (and toe blocks) to the chassis to help prevent tweak.