R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - engine help
Thread: engine help
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
slasher man
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by merdith6
The best engine for torque to clear those jumps coming out of a turn is the Novarossi P5xl. It may not have the top end of the v spec, but it tops out fast and won't bog at all coming onto the straight. If you gear up one tooth on the clutch bell and run 1.0 springs with carbon shoes you will get the most out of it and it will handle the taller gearing no sweat. It will soften the bottom end just a bit and gives tons of traction in all conditions. Sometimes the alluminum shoes tend to spin the wheels going up the jump and can cause problems with heat breaking down the clutch springs causing slower accleration during long mains. I use a 9853 mid range superstrong nova pipe with a short round Dynamite header, they're cheaper than the nova headers, and work great too. It locks on to the engine side gasket so well it's hard to remove it, that's good, it prevents leaks and tearing from movement. Total price
260 p5xl engine
65 9853 ss pipe
17 dynamite header
12 Mugen carbon clutch shoes
4 kyosho 1.0 clutch springs, unless you have a mugen use mugen 1.0 springs
That's 350 bucks for a complete setup, while the v spec is 300 or 500 for the speed v spec and the os pipe set is like 160 that's 460 dollars or 660 dollars, completely ridiculous for racing buggies. I can understand it for on road, but for a buggy that more than some kits....Don't waste your money on expensive stuff. I like the os engines but they get like 5 gallons and then it's rebuild time, you will get 10 gallons through a Nova p5 and it will still hold a tune and be a good practice motor. JMO guys after years of racing. But one good thing about os engines is they break in easy for a big race and are high quality engines. Who knows maybe I should try a vspec, they are popular engines, and have been around forever. I just feel that you asked about clearing jumps and the p5 will do that at half throttle from a dead stop. I only recommend stuff that I've run and know will work great and last forever.

how about the odonnell .21 sport