R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM
SteveL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by falcon_az
Great idea... if I can find a tire truing setup. But they are expensive... don't see one in the cards for a while. Do you know of any tire truing setups... reasonably priced?
Come see me Thursday night or Sunday and I will either cut some for you or show you how to do it yourself. Better yet, I will give you a set of smaller tires to run to see if it makes a difference. I find it odd that your left rear is doing that considering the current layout. All of the fast corners are right handers and the outside boards are on the right. You might check the body to see if the wheel wells are cut out enough and not causing that.

I think a major portion of the peeling/chunking issues being seen is the extreme speed that the cars are going now and the extra load put on the side walls. We would rarely see this in the old days and actually, most of this started when all the companies started making the rims bigger. Not sure how that could cause the problem, just an observation.

I've had the best luck cutting rears to 43mm to start and super glueing the sidewalls a little along with rounding over the edges. I think this not only helps keep the foam from separating but actually frees up the car a little to eliminate some of the side wall stress that can tear the foam. I know that Drew and I are both running yellow and orange rears and not having the extreme issues that you show in your picture. Sure, we will get an occasional chunk or peel but not like that.

And to Jack, if the manufacturer of the rims can't fix this, you should be looking for a new vendor. I doubt that Assoc., Losi or Xray would accept those tolerances. I know I wouldn't. If the material being used is shrinking that much after shipping, I would think the rims would be out of round as well. Sounds more like a mold issue to me as any competent injection molding company would factor the shrinkage into the mold design from the beginning. Other than the bearing issue, I like the newer rim design.

Last edited by SteveL; 01-12-2010 at 05:32 AM.