R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Steve Weiss
The Evicerator

Denny, don't listen to all the nay-sayers

I smoked everyone in Colorado at the ROAR nats in 2002 with the XXXS in stock... I don't think the belt was holding me back there

As far as tips for freeing the drive train up:

-remove at least one sheild from your bearings(Removing both sheilds will free it up more... but some people like to be able to keep their drive train relatively sealed by keeping the sealed sides of the bearings facing outwards)

-spray them out with motor spray thoroughly

-apply a light oil to them.

-Make sure your pulleys are free of debris and aren't clogged

-once your car is reassembled with the diffs in place, check to see where the belt is riding on the diff pullies... if it is pulled to one side, remove the diff and flip it around... the pulleys are a little offset and having them in one way is usually a little more free than the other.

-Belt tension is very important... The loser you run your belt, the "more free" it will be ... but if it is too loose you will lose accelleration on the track... tighten your belt up so that it doesn't slip while accellerating... if it slips while braking you shouldn't be worried. Belt tension is sort of a person preference kind of thing... so experiment with your's to see where you like it... remember, don't be afraid if you hear it slip just under breaking...