R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc
Old 12-24-2009, 04:47 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

spool-I like the way a spool drives. This would be on rubber tires, indoors or outdoors. You have full use of brakes. You get great rip out of the corners. The JRXS spool pulley is outstanding. I get very low breakage and low wear. The TC5 has similar spool pulley, now, giving it homage. A one-way indoors will have a little better turn in, good performance out of the corners. It is more expensive to run than a spool. You break more outdrives. After a month or two you might start having trouble with one-way bearings becoming two-way. Outdoors on a dusty track I just could not keep dirt out of a one-way. Most do not have a dust seal. I think that Losi does with separate pair of O-rings on later models than the XXX-s.

A ball diff has the least wear and tear, has the easiest car setup, but is just slower out of the corners as the inside tire unloads and spins helplessly on power.

Wheels. I like the wheels used on Takeoff and Sorex premounts at speedtech-RC or Stormerhobbies. They are medium stiffness. Speedmind is used on Sorex and takeoff wheels of similar stiffness on Takeoff tires. I just buy the premounts and tune the car to the medium stiffness wheels. Very stiff wheels are usually brittle. Soft wheels usually deform greatly in a crash. I like the medium stiffness for durability as well as performance.