R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Motor temps
Thread: Motor temps
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 PM
kur1j
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Motor temps

I had my LHS set my needles because I didn't know what I was doing at first.

When he set it the needles and after it got to running temp 180ish he ran it for 3-4 min blipping the throttle and getting off just to get it up to 240ish. When he got it up to about 240 and then rolled it over next to us and let it idle and explained that it should drop to about 200ish (which it did) when it drops to do it again for a gallons worth to really break in the motor. He explained when the motor motor starts to break in more I might have to adjust it to keep it this way.

Well today I was doing this and it got up to about 240 and I would let it drop. I ended up having to wrap it in a wrist band as I can't really run it to hard near me as I don't have a ton of room to work with (plus I'm not as good ). This worked and I ended up running it to 240ish and dropped it down to 200 idling without the wrist band.

After about the 7th tank of fuel I noticed that my temps were going up when I let it idle. I would run it with the wrist band and get it to 240ish and then I would take it off and it would drop pretty quickly and then all of a sudden it would go back up. I started running it around some and noticed if I ran it around without the wrist band it would drop it temps to 200ish.

If I let it idle it would go up to about 220-230.

So I assumed I was going to need to make an adjustment to the low speed needle (it was too lean). I made a 1/4 turn counter clockwise to richen it and it still stayed in the 220 range not dropping much. So I did it again (1/4 turn) counter clockwise. The temps didn't drop any...I was still in the 220 range. I blipped on the throttle a little bit but it almost cut off. I turned it back to where it was and it was ok. But it stayed in the 220 range.

The only way to get it to cool down was to just run it around slowly without the wrist band on it. I am assuming the high needle is a little rich is why it cools down.

So my question is...what temp does this motor need to idle at?

I have read and read on tuning but almost all of it seems backwards of what I am seeing.

For example the thing is spitting oil while idling which indicates that it is rich but yet the temps are climbing in the upper 220s and to the 230 range when idling. I just don't get it.

As for the high speed needle when I blip the throttle it emits smoke which is good, but yet when I have it just cruising around at half throttle it isn't hardly emitting any smoke but yet it cools down from 220+ to 205ish. Which indicates to me that it is running rich and needs to be leaned out some (at half throttle and short bursts it is running fine and seems to be lean which is what I rather have).