R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-03
Thread: Tamiya TB-03
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 AM
redbones
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Hey Guys,
Back into RC after a 20+ year lay off. Must be going through some kind of a mid life crisis! Anyway, starting to build the TB03. Purchased all the recommended hop-ups suggested from the article on TamiyaUsa. Will primarily be running with other guys from my work on the street and in parking lots; long straights, wide turns.

Regarding diff assembly:
Whats a good starting point when adjusting the slip? Fully tighten, then back off 1 turn?
Should the ring and pinion be lubricated, or will that cause unnecessary drag on the motor?

Regarding upgraded TRF shocks:
Please suggest a good starting weight for the oil (will probably start with the 3 hole piston as recommended), and any hints you may suggest in their assembly.

Thanks in advance; I appreciate all the good advice!
The diff can be slightly different from car to car. I only had to back off 1/4 turn to get it to my likings. But I also have a problem myself with the slippage of the diff. No matter how tight I make it, the diff slips upon acceleration from a dead start. It makes that noise(you know that rubbing sound). I generally don't put any lube on the gears. Never did for my old evo4, I don't think you need it for the TB03 either. The build of the gear box is crucial. You should be able to turn the entire drive line w/o wheels with little resistance. I little trick I found is to shave some material off of the input shaft inner bearing holder for the gear box. For both front and rear, this section prevented the gearbox from closing properly, thus creating bindage when screwed down. Others might be different so check first before shaving. When I did this, I could properly torque down the screws without creating drag.

As for the shock oil, I just use the AE45wt on all four. Can't get any MM oil here so I use what I can get. If it's colder where you are, you might want to try 35 or even 30.