R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by caltek1
Hello Granpa,

The reason the TAO3 ball diff can be used in the MO5 is because they have a plastic sleeve which encompasses the 1150 bearing to make it into a 1510 size which then fits into the chassis halves.

The new MO5 ball diff is larger in diameter and uses the 1510 bearing with out the requirement for the plastic spacer.

The MO3 chassis only has a space for the diff bearing which will only accept a 1150 bearing.

The internal diameter of the 1150 bearing will not go over the diff cups on the new MO5 ball diff. The TAO3 ball diff uses a externally fitted diff cup which is smaller in diameter than the new items. The new diff is the same size as a touring car diff and uses blades. I would take photo's however the new diff is already in the car.

Regards,

Calvin.
Thank you for the quick answer cause I was going to order 2 diffs and now will just order one. You saved me over $40 with the tax. I knew I was missing something so I had to ask.

I've never even seen a M05 ball diff, but understand that they use a blade drive ala Xray TCs. ??for ya. Could you mill out the slots in the M03 out drives and then be able to use the nylon bit that goes over the drive pins? I'm getting tired of buying new out drives, the hardened ones even, and replacing universals cause the drive pins wore out. We run a lot out here and a 15 battery day is not unusual.