R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc
Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Pack
I have to disagree. Pack is created by the resistance of the oil flowing through a small diameter hole. Not by turbulence. Pack is affected by oil viscosity and hole size. Pack on the losi shock is the same for uptravel and down travel. Now how to change that. You put the bevel on top of the holes to ease up travel and keep downtravel the same. The effect cannot be duplicated by going to bigger holes as then you will have eased uptravel and downtravel. There have been tricky shock designs to do change the uptravel to downtravel proportion. Full size racing car shocks accomplish this with two separtate valves. Often a 60/40 ratio is selected. 40 for uptravel. We can do the same with a little bevel.

Shock pack certainly affects the handling. I think that often racers will use this to their detriment. The want the car to respond quick so they increase shock oil viscosity. All the while the car is now dancing over the bumps and losing 10% of its forward traction. So do this without going to extremes. A hard smooth track can handle high viscosity oil. A rough outdoor track cannot. You end up tuning to the bumps like I said.

I will check out those diff products. A link would be nice.