R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Modding a motor
Thread: Modding a motor
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Maximo
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
Honestly, I would run it stock. You're not losing races due to lack of horsepower, you probably just need to practice a little more. None of the top level team drivers are running modified engines - they're all stock except for the occasional prototype test parts they run.

Everyone who modifies engines will tell you that you get more of everything, but my experience tells me otherwise in most cases. Set-up the engine properly and tune it well and you'll be able to compete with anyone as long as your driving skills are sharp enough. And don't expect more horsepower to help make up for the mistakes - in fact it's usually a contributing factor that leads to more mistakes.

I've been doing this for Nearly 30 years, and I haven't seen a modified engine win a big off-road event since the advent of CNC where those special features that used to be too expensive in the hand-mill era are now standard and easy for the engine manufacturer to implement with a CNC machine.

Modifying an engine is tricky business, and the ones that do it correctly will do so in a manner that you can't even see the work that's been done. Not because they're trying to hide it, but it involves modifications that are not visible to an untrained eye. All the polishing and extra "fangs" in the sleeves are mostly window dressing except for engines that can REALLY use some flow work, but even then the gains are hardly measurable. Polishing is even detrimental to the performance of the engine because it causes fuel to "stick" and flow less smoothly. In the case of the sleeve it loosens the fit between it and the block, which causes a loss of performance. The modifications that produce really good "numbers" are much more precise and require some pretty sophisticated equipment to measure and map out effective changes.

The long and the short if it is, there are far more people that do it wrong - you can count the ones that really do it right all around the world on one hand. More importantly, you already have enough power to win races. There's no amount of horsepower that will beat good driving skills.

Even tho I am a engine modder I do agree with much if what your saying here......More power isn't going to magically make someone win races, most stock engines will do the job quite fine...And I also agree the most effective mods are not visible to eye unless you really know what to look for, the visible flow mods do help, but in a very minor way compared to timing and port changes...... I do definitely do some flow work to my engines, but I focus way more attention to altering ports and timing...

However with that being said there are many reasons to want a modified engine that go far beyond just track performance... Believe it or not but not everybody who goes to the track is there to win, some guys are there just to hang out and have fun and play with their toys......There is no question in my mind that a powerful engine is alot more fun to drive then a weak engine... There is nothing cooler then unleashing a monster of engine, it may not make someone a faster racer, in some cases it will make you a slower racer, but you will be smiling the entire time...... My modified engines are pretty dam fun to drive, they are fast and nasty and will definitely stand out out on a track full of stockers... They have a totally different exhaust note that will have everyone asking what your running.. Every time you squeeze the trigger your going to be smiling, that I promise....... I wont make any claims that my engines will make someone a faster racer, I will however guarantee a big increase in power and RPM without losing any fuel economy over stock, in most cases the modifieds get better mileage anyways ..... With that being said my engines still have set many track records, and placed very well at many events over the years......In the end if someone wants a bitchin fast engine I can help them out !

Here's one of my customers having a blast with his engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qi_ImnmgI