R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car
Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
rogue5
Tech Rookie

Default Electric Buggy Conversion for Team Magic

Originally Posted by Solara
Here is what I am thinking and it is the reason why there are not such thing is 1/8th brushless on road...

1. 1/8th brushless buggy is a direct conversion from their nitro version with less the $100 of parts to convert...however, the same on Serpent Kyosho Mugen platform...it is NOT a direction conversion, the 3 belts design really limited the placement of the batteries and speedo, it is far from a direct conversion, it required someone with some good machine to machine custom parts to make that kinda work...look at all these prototype from this thread. They spend $$$ and hours on those conversion.

2. POWER issue...buggy does not required monster power from batteries, but ON ROAD does...these ppl already have a hard time getting the car ran more then 5 minutes without blowing up motor or speedo. I think it is still in testing condition right now.

3...To design a real brushless used only 1/8th on road, able to fit all the LIPOS, able to run fast and long run time, able to have the 1/8th nitro on road feels and looks...to be honest, I think someone just need to scale up the current 190mm touring car, then adopt the 1/8th nitro on road suspension and tires...the key is, 2 belts. Then it is done...OR, 1/8th scale pan car running 2WD or 4WD like the Kyosho Fantom platform dated in the 80s.

Right now, these ppl (within this thread) were all doing the conversion and have the same goal, trying to keep as much as the original nitro version but powered by brushless motor and lipo...and thats why they have prototype after prototype, testing after testing....but to be honest, if I want to create a new platform for dedicated 1/8th on road...the current nitro version 1/8th platform will NOT be something that is in my mine...

Beside...someone already say it. Nitro on road suppose to be 1 hour long main, 2-speed, big engine and loud noise...someone just like it that way. I don't see there is a market there right now.

Serpent is doing the brushless conversion for 966...will see what that thing look like. However, Serpent do have the fund and manpower to do things like that (ie...Serpent F180 is a good example, cost like $1000 each and only a few ppl want to buy that and afford that). I would think if Serpent do see the interest of 1/8th electric on road, they will definite work on something that is NEW and my guess they will take 1 belt off their 966 and make it electric motor and lipo friendly.
Originally Posted by rc_racer1
have any of you considered the LOSI 8 oval car with an electric conversion, I know it's not a pan car, but it could be easily be set up as a touring car, and the benefit of readily available parts at just about any hobby shops that carry losi parts.
Has anyone tried the new Novak electric conversion for the Team Magic buggies? Wolf Hobbies has one and I'm thinking of trying it.