R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - new to site and this hobby. Totally newb and needs advice and help.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 AM
justanotherdude
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
AM - amplitude modulation
FM - frequency modulation
DSM - Digital Spectrum modulation

radio waves are like waves in a pool and receivers would be like the waves hitting the edge of the pool. an AM receiver get information from how high the waves hit the side/receiver. FM receiver would get info from how far apart the waves are to one another.
AM can have different 'channels' because the distance between the waves is constant for each channel. FM would be opposite, the wave height is the constant for different channels. AM is good for long distance communication whereas FM can hold more information.
DSM is basically encoded/encrypted transmission so only your receiver will 'communicate' with your radio so there is no need for different channels or frequencies.
So with DSM you never need to worry about two people being on the same 'channel' and cars going 'Crazy' because the frequency is 'scrambled' and unique for every radio and reciever that are 'Binded' together.
Think that makes sense?
Originally Posted by dethRC
oh ok.. still processing in this tiny brain of mine..
so the thing is. if i go DSM there is no way any other radio and reciever would have the same frequency as mine. even if we have the same model? same type of transmitter?
and also once i turn on the radio and reciever is it automatic to get my frequency?
and also does it have to be a spektrum brand reciever to make the spektrum radio work? or its ok if i use other DSM brands as well?
i think this is pretty stupid to ask. Is spektrum the only manufacturer which is producing DSM products? really sorry for all of this..
as brodie said, once your new transmitter and receiver are bound (bind) together (it's a process discussed in the radio's user manual, and a procedure you have to do) then the "become friends" to each other and you will have no more frequency worries. basically, a DSM system searches for a "open frequency" when you turn it on, and after you have yours on anyone else that turns on on will have to search for their own open frequency. so, once you have your radio set up there is no way another radio (regardless the brand) can mess up yours.

there are other brands using DSM technology, but unless they're made by Spektrum (like the Losi radios) there is no guarantee they will cooperate/communicate with Spektrum equipment. For example, the Futaba FAST dsm stuff doesn't.