R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Brolzy
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Ike
So... I'm considering getting back into RC racing, I've been out of it for over 10 years. I had assumed I would need all new stuff, but the actuall cars don't seem to have changed as much as I might have thought. I believe my father still has a 12LW, and I have a 12L, an old Corally car (I believe it was their first 1/12th scale car), and a Trinity Evolution12 or maybe it was Revolver12 (still in the box and unassembled), would these cars still be feasable in competition today?

What about my electronics and such, will any of that still cut it? Futaba Magnun radio with the micro high speed servo, a high end Novak ESC from the time, Turbocharger, and a ton of other crap that I can't remember... I even still have some old TRC green dots in the packages (I bet they're a little dried out ), and I'm guessing the battery technology has changed quite a bit. At least I hope so, getting nice matched packs back then was a lesson in futility. IIRC Panasonic 1700 cells were the most common and sanyo (who ruled for years it seemed) had just come out with some new cells to compete with the panasonics.

Thanks for any help,
Ike
Ike, this all depends on the level you plan on racing at. If it's just the club/local level, you cars will be fine as long as they are well set-up. The LW or Revolver would be the best, IMO (I'm not sure how the parts availability would be for the revolver, though). As far as electonics, the same goes...except maybe batteries, as the technology has gone through the roof. They now make 3300's, and they can't use the old style chargers as they are not NiCD's. I just had to go through this, myself, but I was only out of 12th scale racing since 1997 or so (ran other stuff in between, here and there).