R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 AM
djmachinist
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.pardon my ignorance...articulation as in a mechanical joint that the car can twist on or plain ole' chassis flex.......??????
Ok, I will need to put something in the rules about this, but basically, what is allowed in the French "Classic rules" is: In the front end they allow a Flex rocker style plate with the solid axle tied to the rocker plate. In the rear end they allow only solid mounting of the rear axle to the main chassis plate. Of course, no independent wheel movement. The German "Contact 300" had a flex plate at the rear of the car similar to the 1/12 scale elec. carpet cars. The Contact 300 designers elected on their own to withdraw this design and come out with the "Contact 310" which does not have the rear flex plate. I do not want to rule out the front flex plate in our rules because most of the availiable kits such as the Motonica P8C and DXF cars have this feature.

There is historic justification for this front flex plate design, the Delta "SL" and "SS" cars of the mid-seventies had this feature, so did the "Scorpion"
cars of the same period. However, Delta and Scorpion both droped this feature as not needed in their later offerings such as the Delta "JL" car and the later Delta "Super J". Art Carbonel won the 1982 World Championship with the "Super J". The Associated RC-100 introduced the "Coke Bottle"
sculpted chassis in 1976 which they continued through to the RC-300BD,
Associated's last Pan car before the RC-500 Suspension car was released in 1983. The later Delta "JL" and "Super J" adopted the "Coke Bottle" Chassis shape.

Dale