R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc
Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Track Session 84 F air temp 104 F track temp.
This, I think, was the best session yet. The XXX-S handled beautifully on all parts of the layout. I got no spins in 3 packs. Cornering speed was improved for two reasons, more flex in the frame, and improved tire condition with a slightly less powerful motor (1/2 wind less). I Immediately had a good wear pattern on the tires. Punch is improved slightly out of the corners, mid straight speed is slightly less. I tapped a few flappers as the goal today was to run the tightest lines on the parts of the course that have been changed.
We had white stripes, rubber tapered curbing about 1 inch high (10 inch wide) and then flappers. The curbing was removed so the visual cue is identical but the car can now just skim the flapper and be completely inside the white line. I took some time to get used to this.

Here is a pic of the layout. The section on the far right has been changed on each flapper. I worked on this and the 4.0 motor helped to cut tight lines. Coming out of turn 4 to hard acceleration has been ticklish before. I had some rear end wiggle. There is some ripple in the pavement there. Nothing but smooth acceleration today. The far right hand end (in the pic after turn 6) of the track looks short but is really as long as most indoor tracks straights. It is 78 feet curb to curb. I use a lot of power there. The car had a tendency to spin late in the arc. None today. The better tire condition has really hooked up the car. Takeoff 36R tires with Traction Action. LRP 4.0 X12 geared 90/24. Motor temp 161F at 6 minutes. I tried 90/25 and had less grip, less punch out of the corners, and lower motor temp. It was not hooked up well with the higher gear.
First pic is looking from the far left side of this diagram.
Second pic is looking left from the drivers stand toward the right of this diagram.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2B, Mikes Gulf Coast Raceway On Road Track.JPG
Views:	1845
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	517210   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Ifmar World 1-10 Sedan Layout at Mike's 006.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	517214  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-03-2009 at 05:02 PM.