R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 AM
speedemall
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Thanks for the info guys!

What's funny is, I was heavily into RCing back in 1992 to 1993, but I guess that was when I didn't appreciate anything Tamiya did.

That was era when the Japanese RC makers seemed like they are behind the curve with how to make race-worthy vehicles, so I ended up ignoring Tamiya and Kyosho...

But it's crazy, outside the racing world, bashing (which is what I do now), these vehicles are so fun!

I probably didn't care too much for the JACCS or the PIAA Accord when it came out because I was driving a crappy Tercel in real life!

Only later when I got a 1997 Accord, I've been looking to get an Accord body for it...

I remember seeing an OLD HPI body that claimed "97 Honda Accord" but for some reason, I didn't see any resemblance...

I was the same as you back then Tom,My friends and I had mostly Tamiya and Kyosho's back in the 90's as teenagers and we beat the hell out of them never thinking about the detail put into the bodies and just how beautiful they were when finished correctly. We would just build them,paint the bodies, and stick the decals wherever we felt like it and they never came close to looking like their box art LOL. Fast forward to now and I have seen them as works of art for the past 13 yrs and I baby every Tamiya/kyosho I have,unless I have a beater body for it. My cars are all built to stock specs and run electronics from the time period they were produced,only exception would be the batteries as I run lipo in everything. I can't say that I agree with Tamiya/Kyosho being behind the curve at that time though,The optima dominated the race circuit a good bit along side associated/yokomo in its day as did the Lazer and Nitro burns. Tamiya was the company that was behind because they focused mainly on scale realism and very little on performance.Eventually Kyosho stopped focusing on scale and has been all about full race vehicles ever since. I used to own a Tercel too lol. It was my very first car a 1993 DX.