R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:24 AM
cosmo1974
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions?? NEW HIGH GRIP TRACK

Hi Korey,
Another tricky set of questions. I have been running on a low grip track, and have just started running on a newly refurbished high grip track.

(1) The low grip track now seems under control, with a setup similar to Hara at RROC 2008.

(2) The new track is turning into a challenge for most drivers. The asphalt surface has been cleaned up, and the track has been repainted with a Boral anti-slip paint (like one might use around a swimming pool). Another club in Sydney used this paint about a year or so ago, and it worked out ok after a few months. Allegedly a high grip surface. It was painted with a paint roller, and apparently the stipples left by the roller actually create more grip for about the first 3 months, until they are worn down.

(3) The main problem is trying to get power down to the rear wheels. Unless the car is in a perfectly straight line, the rear end just rotates around under the mildest of power. My end of day setup seemed the best of a sub-optimal lot, but I don’t feel comfortable running an RC that is lower in the rear, than the front (I'm thinking there must be a better, more widely used setup to get around this challenge).

(4) I'm tending to coast around the corners because of the rear end rotation when powering on. After about an 8+ minute practice run, there is a lot of rubber inside the body shell.

(5) NEW HIGH GRIP TRACK SETUP (end of day setup):
Drive: ________F=SpoolV3 + R=Diff
Ackermann: ___F=4.0
Shock Spring: __F=Pink + R=Silver (* tried F=Silver + R=Silver & tried F=Pink + R=Blue*)
Shock Oil: _____F=AE60 + R=AE35 + FullRebound + Foam (tried F=45 + R=35 *)
Shock Piston: __F+R=2hole,1.2mm
Shock Position:_F=3+2 + R=3+3 (* tried R=3+5 *)
Camber Link: ___F=2.0 + R=1.0 (* tried F=3.0 + R=0.0 etc *)
Camber: _______F=1.5 + R=1.5 (* tried F=2.0 + R=1.0 *)
Toe Block: _____F=1.5 + R=3.0
Toe: __________F=+0.5
Block Shims: ___F=2.0 + R=1.5 (* tried F=1.0 + R=1.5 *)
Wheelbase: ____F=2.0_0.5 + R=2.0_0.5 + R(hub)=2.0_0.5
Swaybar: ______F=1.4 + R=1.2
Swaybar Gap: __F=1.0 + R=2.0
Downstops: ____F=9.0 + R=9.0 (* tried F=8.5 + R=8.0 *)
Ride Height: ____F=5.5 + R=5.5 (* tried F=5.0 + R=5.5 *)
Middle Deck: ____Cut
Body: __________Mazda6
Tires: ___________Sorex32 + B_MediumInserts + SpeedmindRims

(6) I did not rotate the tires. The rear tires are looking ok, however, the front tires have worn through to the canvas in a couple of spots, and the inner rim of the front tires are split.

(7) The track is tight and technical, except for a sweeper onto the main straight (and then into a 180 degree hairpin at end of straight).

(8) I'm not 100% certain (so take this with a bit of scepticism) but I think the car gets through the corner entry and maybe middle but then rotates if slight braking or on power is applied. Might even be pushing mid-corner.

Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited by cosmo1974; 10-26-2009 at 02:11 AM.