R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - been out for awhile. best nitro motors????
Old 10-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Maximo
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
No offence to engine modders or modding engines for power.

Though the current trend is for fuel mileage. What mods can you accomplish for mileage?

Current engines on the market with no mods that can go 10+ that I have experienced are the STD OS V-Spec, Speed, NR+4 and both of the Alpha Plus engines.

I've yet to see a Picco go more than 8:45 and this was an Adrien Bertin tuned Orion CRF.

Those engines by the way are my top picks for $$ to performance ratio.
My modified engines always make better runtimes then their stock counterparts... How much better really depends on the end user and how they tune it....

Originally Posted by houston
plus4

hi Jimmy , there are some things that can be done for mileage

and btw , nice track there maximo sounded like a typical picco (jpx) on/off switch with little or no powerband . they do make aaaallllooootttt of power no doubt about that .
IMO the Picco has a huge powerband, it makes power earlier then most motors and carries its power higher in the RPM range as well, giving it a big broad powerband.... However it does make alot of power and because of that its not the smoothest engine on the block.... To some the modified Picco will seem brutal, however to me many of these other highly regarded engines seem absolutely gutless...... Its all about perspective....If your used to a OS Speed the Picco will feel like a brute, but if your used to the Picco the OS Speed will seem like a gutless wonder...... In the end I have drivers doing well and winning races with all different engines, Picco included.... Once you learn to adapt to the engines characteristics it all balances out...I myself like engines with balls, and I make that very clear to any customers looking for one of my Picco's...
Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08
If you are new to nitro motors I would stay away from the Picco's they are a tuning nightmare for the uninitiated, I would also avoid the Go Techs they go hard but not for long, Sirio make a good mill but again for a newb I would not recommend one.

Best motors at the moment imho are the Nova +4, Speed, Ninja and the RB R9 or if you want something cheap the Reedy is a good mill but does not have the top end of the other 3.

What people don’t realize is a quick motor does not necessarily make a good race motor, I have seen too many people go backwards because they buy the fastest, badest and modded mill out there but cannot handle the power.

When I modify a Picco I alter several things with the carburetors that make the engine tune much easier... None of my modified Picco's tune hard at all...... I can't speak for a stock Picco, but I know my engines don't have the common tuning issues people associate with Picco

Originally Posted by houston
my point exactly

there is something called useable power
Its all relative to what your used to.... We win plenty of races with the Picco engines, however we do run on a very different surface then the tracks your used to.... Many times up here the softer motors don't have the balls to push a Truggy properly out of the corners, The Picco's do... I have run pretty much every .21 available today and most of them lack the bottom end needed in our conditions......... I could see on a slick hardpack the modded Picco's being too strong, but in any sort of loose loamy surface they work awesome...

All in all anyone looking at one of my modified Picco's is looking for a big gun engine and that is exactly what they are going to get...They are good on fuel, they make awesome power and RPM and are very durable...If your looking for a soft mild motor then look elsewhere at a Nova ,Speed or Sirio , if you want big balls with a attitude then look at these Picco's... I modify plenty of brands with great results, each engine has its own characteristics that I enhance...My OS engines are smooth and rev like crazy on top end, my Go are smoother with a wicked top end, My Sirio is smooth with Wicked top end, My Picco is insane and easilly the most powerful of the bunch..My RBC6 is smooth down low but takes of like Jet in the midrange and has a top end I have not seen from any other offroad .21......