R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Most informative RC "Racing" Magazine?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 AM
DerekB
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bgbelden
Well i'm a reader of everything i can. I don't pay attention to articles about crawling because it's not my thing but i understand your making a mag for everyone and not just me.
What i don't like at all is (i get my mags mixed up) when on a scale of 1-10 every car is a 9 or 10 with a few 8's. I've driven and seen some 4's but no-one ever says that. And the other one says this car is for everyone or intermediate to pro. That's bull. A $900.00 Kyosho should never be directed towards a newbie who has cash and then finds out he wasted money because he can't drive.
Just because John Force can handle a fast Mustang doesn't mean the kid next door with 2 months behind a pinto can handle the same Mustang.
I would just like more honesty with the ratings of vehicles.
Why doesn't anyone say "Yeah the Losi 8ight RTR is a great car, but the 270servo they give you is JUNK"!
Keep printing and i'll keep reading.
PS. Stop sending me renewals for 24.95 when the insert card that comes with my mag says 19.95.
Who directs a Kyosho toward a new person? All race cars we test are listed as "intermediate to advanced," which ironically most people think they are really good drivers (I've seen most drive and I'd say they are not really that good )

Also we've rated things lower than a 7. And what have you driven that was a "4" in something? Everybody always thinks this but actually when challenged to tell why...they don't. And more so they may be emotional over something they bought didn't perform well for them. But think about it...a 70 is passing is school and average, but when I was a kid that average was much harder to get. Now they give kids more points on their SATs just because...everybody gets Bs and that's really what the average is. So if you can't figure out that 8 is average, 9, is above and 10 is awesome...what does it matter really. That doesn't take into account that if something is terrible we don't need to review it...there are more good kits on the market today than ever...and for cheap.

Also remember, reviews aren't shootouts. THey are not a comparison to another car. It is unfair and wrong to compare cars that aren't on the same track with the same conditions..and why shootouts are so good.

As for your Servo comment, you're getting a full race car for hundreds less than the kit car...that crappy servo is pretty average...I don't think we've ever said "these RTR" electronics are awesome...because all are price point items.

But every time I challenge somebody to defend their statements...they seem to not come up with anything. Dont' forget you can't judge a car intended for bashing to be held to race standards...everything is judged on intended user.