R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How do you pick what race you will go to?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Brandon Melton
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I could honestly care less about going to a race just because it pays a good purse. If they're paying great, but I don't go just because of it. Heck even for club races I could care less if I get a plaque or GC or whatever, I just want to not be frustrated by the program and I'm happy. Here is why I chose to go somewhere for a second time (hard to judge a race by the first annual).

1.) Quality of the program. Start when you say you're going to start, if warm up is 3 minutes, obey 3 minutes, not keep giving guys extra time. Just because we are all staying at hotels and not going home, doesn't mean we have to be there all night. Run the race like you have a curfew. It urks me at races when the word "around" is used. No need for "we're going to start around 9:00 or so". No, start AT 9:00. Simple task that makes the show look more professional not like a few guys ust decided to entertain alot of people with a race.
2.) A dedicated hired race director. They don't have to scream and get excited, just call important info, race on the track, how long to go, call LEADERS and times, call traffic for leaders, announce more than just the leaders lap times. I can't stand when I go to a sheet and the top 4 guys were 2 secs from each other, but you would think third place was a lap down because his name was never called. If you are in a close race, you'd like to know.
3.) Quality of the track, was it fun, was it overdone, could you RACE on it or was it a wait for a mistake track. Was the track maintained through the race as advertised. Not everyone has the luxury of bringing $1000 worth of tires, and on site shops at races have dwindled. You need to show up with the right tire. If you say you are running it dry and grooved, run it dry and grooved, if you say you are going to water, water.
4.) No bowling trophies. Sorry but any race I get a "trophy" at goes in the trash. Between little league, and everything else, who needs another brass plastic piece on the mantle?? Give unique prizes, stuff that I could display and people say "that's cool, you don't see that everyday".