R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM
PaPeRo
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony gray
You could also save yourself a lot of time and money and NOT buy them...

The Tobee gears are very, very, poorly made with a badly cut gear pitch profile, poor materials and compatibility. When they're installed (once you work out how) the noise they make is horrendous. And yes I know what I'm doing everything was set-up perfectly.

I was convinced my gearbox had exploded it was so bad. Any small numerical gearing gain is offset 50 times by the inefficiency of these gears. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone

Forget it..
Are you talking about the alloy one? I have the alloy one and it meshes fine. If you're new to alloy/steel gears then you're gonna be shocked by the higher pitched sound of them meshing, but it's perfectly normal. The Tobee spur is a simple drop in fit, so I don't know what you mean by "once you work out how".

You can't beat metal gears for durability that's why many Nitro cars only use metal gears. If you don't want to replace worn out spurs then you have no choice but to go with a metal one.

Curious to know what pinion (pitch and teeth number) you used with the Tobee alloy spur and which mounting holes.

BTW aren't you the same guy that said the carbon gear shafts aren't worth the money because they don't spin?

Last edited by PaPeRo; 10-17-2009 at 02:53 PM.