R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - OFNA Super Torsen c/diff vs. stock
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
mblgjr
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The following is based on your Kyosho having a traditional "open" center diff.

The Ofna Torsen is a progressive-rate locking torsen (torque-sensing) diff. It works similar to the Losi Smart diffs in terms of it's action; but they take 2-different paths to perform the same job.

Basically the Ofna torsen has spiral cut gears and as torque is applied they 'ramp' causing the diff to lock under power.

If the track is open (or tight) relatively smooth and doesn't have any "rhythm" sections (or rumble strips) that will make the car buck front to rear; then it will work ok.

Best used on loose track surfaces since it keeps the power from bleeding off to the front end.

I liked to run mine with a gear-lube in it instead of silicone; made off power turning great and let it lock more progressive for me.

Main benefit is better acceleration on loose track surfaces and more on power steering.

My advice is this is an option that is best left alone until you're VERY happy with your standard chassis/diff setup. It takes a slightly different driving style to really get the most out of it.

Never run a rear torsen.

Front torsens can be used, but only on large/smooth tracks. I've run them front and center before; car has AWESOME on-power steering, but ruts and off power steering can present slight issues.