R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Slapmaster6000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Testing here showed that with the same gearing a 1s / 13.5 was VERY close to the same as a 4-cell / 17.5. But when we started gearing the 1s / 13.5 up to where it was optimized it was significantly faster than the 4-cell / 17.5 is.

I know the W. Washington guys (Bodine, DuTemple, et al) have decided that 1s / 13.5 and 4-cell 13.5 run together acceptably well. The Fantasy World Summer Sizzler (25th Annual!!) allowed either of these specs and the main proved to be a duel between Mike with a 4-cell car vs. Brian with a 1s car. Bodine made a small mistake early and spent 6 minutes running several seconds behind but the gap was pretty much the same throughout. With 1 minute to go the 4-cell car began to slow noticeably (geared pretty aggressively to keep ahead of the BodineMachine) to near full dump at the end where he won by a second or so. Had the race been even one more lap (heck...one more corner) and Brian would have had him.
I would like to point out this was on asphalt out doors on a 80x 120'ish medium turn type track. Take this scenario to a 40x90 carpet track and I feel that you will see the 4 cell car has a .2ths advantage. Moral to the story is; even with weight allowances, I don't think that you will achieve a true evenness between 4 cell & 1S.

I can say that for those that are holding onto their 4 cells..... let 'em go! The 1S pack is the brushless motor of batteries. It's true that we are giving up on the best cells that we have had since the Sanyo 2000's, but get over it. You will be happier for it.

Brian