R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - electric vs. nitro
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Zerodefect
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I had a real shocker today at the track with a electric buggy today. First, I have a 2.0 buggy with a Ninja in it, i'm also running a 14 tooth pinion instead of the standard 13 tooth pinion. I expected to be able to have about the same top speed as it but I figured I would get killed on acceleration....Odd thing happined though, I was better on acceleration and killed him in the staights. He was as shocked as me, now I don't know much about the electric 1/8th scale stuff. But he said he had the best out there now.

can't explane it!!

The E's kill nitro from a dig but at pace on the track I'd give the edge to a well tuned nitro alot of the time. Smoother low end and lighter weight. At the club level it's still a drivers race. (and I'm seeing nitro guys haveing the better luck lately) And the jx21 is an awfully good engine.

The E's have way more power but it seems to work against them most of the time. You still have to carry consistant corner speed to have enough momentum to clear obstacles on a properly chllenging track.

Relying on that extra kick of E power to clear a jump really deosn't seem too consistant. Still have to carry momentum out of the corner like a nitro car.
All that extra power usually just goes into squirelly wheelspin.

I've been running side by side nitro and E and it seems pretty fair at our level.