R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 05:03 AM
cannon
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
It is perfectly possible to set up a light car so that it handles well, but it does take a while to figure things out. We've been running our Mini's at 1300 grams for the last several years- with some VERY hot Red Dot motors - and the cars work fine.

RayK and I ran ours at the US Nats at 1200 grams per the Nats rules and both of us placed in the top 10. Although the TCS Nats used somewhat slower handout silver cans, everyone I spoke to found their car to handle quite well.

It does require a different setup (remember we are limited to Tamiya wheels and tires), but it is possible, and they ARE fast!

I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me that a lighter car will accelerate, stop, and corner faster than a heavy one.
What you have said is true to a degree but some weight i also required to provide the traction .

We are also looking at this using a vastly different motor system to you. We are using a Hobbywing BL system which generates far more torque and faster top speeds. This all adds to the handling dynamics