R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Losi JRXS Type-R
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
MaxRain
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Had a chat with a fellow friend who is not into RC about static roll centre.. He told me that it is best to have static roll centre as close as possible to the ground, must be above ground though. If it is under ground it will have a negative effect on your suspension geometry.

After having this discussion, I checked the settings I used this past weekend and discovered that he was right.. I set the roll centre as per the attached screen shot and was impressed with my findings.

You will notice that I set ride height at 6mm (front) and 6.5mm (rear) which plays a huge roll with static roll centre. Now I see why, the JR link can be adjusted in a high/low position, as this has an affect also.

In addition, downforce created by the body we choose to use will affect static roll centre also. If you are travelling in a straight line, the ride height will generally drop from the downforce created by the body. To maintain the ride height, you need to have springs stiff enough to limit the movement (of ride height) from changing too much. Then as you enter a corner, you want weight transfer to help you steer thru it. Downforce plays a roll in the corners, but it is speed dependant. Generally, weight transfer has a larger roll, which needs to be controlled by sway bars.

If you have a track that has elevation changes, and or bumps, shock oil is your next best friend.

When it comes to vehicle dynamics, there is no "perfect" setup as tires and the body we choose to use can affect performance.

Hopefully this helps those who have been wondering about vehicle dynamics as I have thought about this for a long time and I think I solved some of my own issues..

Lastly, if you haven't already, download the roll centre calculator.. It is worth it, because it's FREE..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	roll centre.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	499243