R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Scooter79rs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spam77
Hi,

I just got a TC5R and thought I'd try this question here...

Got a overheating scenario I'd like to run by some of the experienced RC TC5 drivers.

I've got a TC5R, stock kit setup, Novak Havoc Sport Brushless 17.5 system, 40 Sweep tires, 94731 Airtronics servo, use a Reedy 5000mah 20C lipo battery, and run a 3.89 FDR with a pinion of 37 and spur of 72. I race outdoor parking lot asphalt.

I usually thermal on the last lap of my race, somewhere around 4-6 minutes of driving, the ESC will shutdown because temps reach around 160 degrees.

I'm going to try a few things in this order:

1: Change my tires to sorex 36s. I noticed my car sliding a lot, so getting better grip and not wasting so much energy could bring the temp down.
2: Snap on a heat sink
3: install on a fan
4: Gear down a bit to a 35 or 36 pinion

I do like the punch/speed of the car, so that's why I'd like to try to mess with the gearing last if nothing else works. Anyone got opinions on how I'm trying to solve this thermal issue?

Thanks, Any help is appreciated.
AJ
Try another ESC, there should be no reason why you'll be thermalling at that ratio for 17.5. My LRP TC Spec at 3.5 only got to 69c and my Tekin RS with boost at 3.7 got to 73c, in both occasions that speedys never got hot.