R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Cup Racer 1M
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
MikeR
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhalide
Mike,
Thanks for responding. the motor & MC are a Novak SS5800 coreless. I got it when they first came out & only got the team TC3 to run once on the carpet before the track closed. The differentials loosened up & ceased working on about 3/4 of a lap. The metal differentials & locktight resolved that problem. I am getting ready to put a 4.5 Velocity coreless in the TC 3 As I found it really handeled well although I have primarily gone with HPI.
I built up the Cup Racer (Datsun Blue Bird) as I am very interested in frame design /suspension/handeling. The downward shocks & parrallel suspension arms were very intriguing & the 510 body won me over. I will post pics as I have been working on it for a while.
I have noticed on web searches that some companys refer to the small gear on the motor as the spur while others refer to the spur as the large drivetrain gear. I always thought it was the small one. The TC3 has an internal gear ratio of 2.5 (i think) & the Cup racer is 1.1.
So, how does one arrive at the ratio in the Novak manual that suggests a gear ratio of 9.75-10.25 or whatever. Is this something that can be understood . . .

Michael

IC- isn't the 5800 rated like a 10.5/7.5 turn motor? That's a lot of motor for the CR Stock up on diff and input gears! Actually I think the final drive of the CR is 2.43. What you do is divide spur (big gear) by pinion (motor gear) and then multiply by 2.43. 65spur/ 16pinion gets you at 9.87. If that is the case then you may need a larger spur since a 16 pinion may not reach the spur. If I were you I'd just pick up any ol 17.5 motor and run the stock gears. The car will be much more driveable and realistic with a good 'stock' speed motor. These cars are a hoot even with just a $10 mabuchi motor