R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Anyone setup their car's brakes to be FRONT bias???
Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
wingracer
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just to clarify about full size car brake bias, pavement cars almost always run more bias towards the front. This is because the high speeds and high grip levels combined with really hard braking leads to a massive amount of weight transfer to the front. Plus locking the rears on pavement usually means a spin.

Dirt is a different animal. Most dirt oval cars run much more rear brake. I don't have any experience with full sized offroad vehicles but I suspect they do too. There are a few reasons for this.

1. Dirt means slower speeds, less grip and less braking force. This means less weight gets transfered to the front tires so they will not be able to handle as much brake force.

2. Forward bite being very important on dirt cars leads to them having much more weight biased to the rear. The front of the car tends to be very light, again meaning less brake force available at the front.

3. Dirt oval cars may look very "loose" sliding sideways through the corner but they actually tend to not want to turn into the corner. A quick stab of the brakes with a lot of rear bias helps the car rotate into the corner. Rally drivers do the same thing by yanking on the handbrake.

So in conclusion, I think at least a slight rear bias would be preferable on our cars. I am not sure 0 front is the way to go but if it works for you, do it. If the car is too twitchy entering a corner on the brakes, move it forward. If it wont turn in on the brakes, move it back.

Last edited by wingracer; 09-01-2009 at 06:58 PM.