R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
caltek1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

torg,

Different countries have different mini rules. That is why some run silver cans, black cans and BL systems.

The inequality between Tamiya sport tuned motors,(black cans) was reducing the number of racers running in the mini class, to the extent that numbers were falling at major competitions. Some racers would purchase a box of motors and keep the best four or five and sell the rest. Thats how serious the top racers are.

To bring back equality etc, here in Australia we experimented with a variety of BL systems using 17.5, 21.5 and then using the Hobbywing system with a 3300 Kv, motor and then finally a 3000 Kv motor. The system that was universally adopted was the Hobbywing 25 or 35 Amp speed control matched to a etched 13T motor,(3000Kv). This has been adopted by most states here within Australia as have the mini rules, so that we are all running the same.

What we have found by doing this, is that the mini class has grown considerably and that at the major meets the mini class has the most entries. For us it has been a win/win situation. We have also seen the cars are all equal in speed and it comes back to setup and driving skills.

I am not proposing that everyone has to adopt the same rules as us in Australia, just that we are very happy with the results. All that most racers have said in this thread is just how good it has been for us.

The BL system is relatively cheap and makes for almost nil maintenance. I am not going to argue about prices of speed controllers and brushed motors etc, as to be competitive we all spent more on this than the cost of a BL system.

For info we have always run 20 tooth pinions with black cans and the BL system. If you run a smaller pinion you will not be competitive. Simple as that.

Am I happy with our approach, you had better believe it. The class is growing quickly and the introduction of the MO5 has seen the class grow even faster. A lot of our gun drivers are beginning to run mini as they see how much fun we have and the close racing adds to the thrills. The MO5 with its better handling characteristics has proven that it traction rolls less than the MO3.

We have also opened up the body shell rule which has seen a grid of completely different cars which adds to the spectators enjoyment.

That's my two bob's worth, take it or leave it.

Have a nice day and Happy racing.

Later,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 08-31-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: xtra text.