R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Losi JRXS Type-R
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Dragonfire
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run a JR link with the ball cup cut down so I can run a small turnbuckle in there. With this setup I can achieve up to 3 degrees camber which is plenty for rubbers. I have tried the normal ball stud link but the lack of steering drove me crazy. I imagine it would be fine on high grip tracks though.

Took the losi for a run again with flex setting on a low grip track. Last time I ran here I struggled alot with the losi natural level of grip. This time the chassis was off the ball straight away and while wondering what was going on I noticed every other car doing donuts. So the problem was the track. I took a 17.5 car for a run which was awesome fun as I had it sideways out of every corner.

So I sat down for an hour and rebuilt a few diffs while others cleaned the track up for me. Out again and the car was sweet. Plenty of steering over the majority of cars on the track and good in and out of the corners. Since I turned the lock down a little earlier I decided to leave it there so I could compare runs. Anyway I quickly did back to back runs with the front two screws of the rear bulkhead in and out. In feel the chassis has the same flex initially but with the bulkhead screws out it would continue to flex a lot further before stiffening up. Simply put the bulkhead screws out gave a more planted car but lacked high speed steering where the screws in gave a much better feel and you could keep your foot on the gas more around fast corners with less brakes. Anyway the flex was not as much as you might think looking at my deck mods.

We ran 3 races since there was only 7 10.5 drivers and everyone was cool with having some fun so I got the chance to test the car in race conditions.

1st run with my usual setup. I started mid pack and quickly moved to 2nd. Follow the leader (2006 Australian Stock Champ) for most of the race constantly putting pressure on him. I was able to move around behind him a lot and maintain his pace. Eventually I forced his error and went on to take the win. Best lap of 12.0 (Best other 12.2)

2nd run was usual setup but high roll centers in stead of low. Initially the car felt good in the warmup laps but a little loose. Very quickly into the run (I started back of grid) and the goop started to lose effect and my steering started to disappear. Thankfully everyone around me was busy pushing beyond their limits so was able to run away with the win easy but the car lost low speed performance and was moving around a little lacking that planted feel. Best lap 12.2 (Best other 12.1)

3rd run and went back to low roll centers but changed rear link position to promote a little more chassis roll. Instantly the car felt very good to drive and once again from the rear of the grid I was all over anyone in front of me and quickly made my way through to 3rd. From there I had a few laps to catch the gap but unfornatly the driver had a vege moment and missed a corner. In their rush to get back into position they back across the corner and right into my path as I was already comitted to the turn. So I sat there waiting for him to be marshalled (whole field went past) then back underway and I went straight past him cleanly this time. I qwickly dispatched most again loving the feel the chassis was giving me. Back up to the lead battle and joined in the fun taking 2nd but 1st had been given a decent chance to drive away so no chance for the triple. Infact I ended up 3rd as 3rd place following me made a big deliberate cut of the track and took 2nd. Was seriously funny at the time lol. Anyway after all the speed I though I had the best lap was only 12.1 (Best other 12.1 also). I guess the biggest difference here was the increased roll and therefore drag made the car easier to drive into corners hard and therefore felt fast even though its lack of corner speed made it slower.

Still all in all I once again found low roll centers better even with the flexy chassis. The increased grip I am getting and this testing shows I prolly need to look more towards less roll from swaybars and springs rather than roll centers to get some more speed but with the bulkhead screws in some of the high speed steering was back and I am liking this flex setup more and more.

As note I also adjust weight ratio from 52/48 to 53/47 F/R.