R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM
cannon
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
This thread is definitely concentrating two different types of racers and the most annoying are those who think everybody wants to race minis. You need to realise a lot of the mini buying customers are tehre just becasue they can buy a kit and be ont he track the next afternoon, not because any other reason. You are addicted to it, good for you. That doesn't mean it is cheap (in your case). For everybody else that's what it is. Cheap fun class to race with little tunning headache (especially compared to TC sedan).

About silvercans, nobody worries that much to runt hem in and so on. Yes, I read all the pages in this thread and learned about the gurus with red dot this and that and so on and couldn't care less. I don't race minis, by the way. But I do race si 50 class and since we allow black cans, that's what I race. And yes, I agree they last less than a silver can but they are faster. That's my one concession to being compstitive. Now my black cans last me one leg (10 races) of the championship and I thikn that's pretty good for around 30$ (again, i don't care what these motors cost at your shop, that's what tehy cost here where I buy them). Compared to a hobbywing system (again I don't care about your prices) which is 170$ here, that means you need the BL system to last you two years to be worthwhile (even with your prices the ratio is near enough the same). Now, in two years, electronics can evolve so far, your system (speedy + motor) might be totally obsolete by then or even out of date in six months. Sure for addicted people who think the world evolution has stopped at the mini this doesn't matter. For the rest of us it does, and comments abound here to support this statement.

So why run brushless? When you can buy a RTR kit made by Tamiya for I am not sure here, (perhaps about 300$ last time I had the curiosity to check) and it has everything, speedy, radio, battery, the car is all built and ready to go!

this is why your class took off over int he east. And I think not everybody ahs adopted your rules about the BL system. we will have the guys from Sydney here in spetember and talk to them again, but as far as I heard they won't allow anything but silvercans in minis. I could very well be wrong, as my info is not first hand, I realise, but even they did adopt these rules the change is recent.

Some of you argue the shift to BL systems is a result of changing times (read technology) others still argue is a sign of people trying to level the playing field, etc. I think there is some of that in it, but not the main factor. My opinion is that if indeed numbers have exploded as some of you say, then above all it is a sign of people having more disposable income until a year or so ago because of various economic factors (stronger economy, stronger currency, etc). If this is not a factor, (and then perhaps statements about the class "exploding" need to be re-examined) then all the people running minis are die hard fans and no rule applies. They'll spend anything, they'll buy anything, they'll kill anything to satisfy their addiction. But that is not relevant to the average hobbyist out for fun. How many of these (addicted) people can there be?

Time will tell. Let us wait the crisis to finish and we'll count the chickens then.
The original posting was regarding using BL systems to race Minis. Now after alkl your posts you say you dont race Minis?

You are so far out of date with information. The eastern states (NSW, QLD, VIC, SA, and ACT) have all adopted the brushless system for Mini racing. There was no silver can racing of Mini before ... only black can. Unfortunately for WA they are running a long way behind the other states. You were even later introducing lipos for race meets

As for increasing numbers ... the number of Mini racers increased dramatically straight after the BL system was introduced and is still increasing. Look at the Mini 50 event in Victoria .. 50 BL system Minis came together for one event .. you ont see that many TC cars racing in a silver can event . Why? Because of the inequality of the motors etc etc.

As I said before .. if you want to hack around then the silver can is fine for your driveway. But for equal racing ... there is only one solution .. brushless