R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 AM
niznai
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cannon
Yes the market does show what it wants. In Australia, Mini racing has increased dramatically because of the introduction of the brushless system. The market speaks. If you honestly race brushed and brushless with years of experience you would know that brushless is far cheaper to run.

Good to see you race once a week but how long have you been racing.

We are talking about a budget BL ESC and motor where it can be set up in seconds. There is nothing fiddly about the system
My brushless system (Tekin RSpro+redline 21.5) was about 400$. This was to rid me of the need to buy black cans three times a year but mainly for the maintenance free aspect. Also because my esc (brushed) didn't have the lipo cutoff feature and other minor aspects.

And yes, I only recently started using my brushless system but I bought it a long time ago. And yes, my comment has a cavet (major) as you can see. The system has to last at least two seasons to be better money wise. Two years! That's a long time both for your average racer to think ahead and current electronics which seem these days to have a life cycle of about 6 month before they are obsolete. So you see, it's a huge gamble for me. Not sure everyone would be game to follow (actually at my track nobody yet). For me it is an experiment as explained further in my post you quote.

I think the mini class in Oz grew because everything else grew back at the time ont he back of booming economy. That and the fact that is the cheapest way to get into on-road. Drifting has grown just as much in other parts (I take it you're somewhere on the Eats coast). Just wait and we'll see how it stacks up when the financial crisis hits even further. Our club is already hunting for old (!) members.

As for low budget, the EZ run systems are still about 170AU$ in my neck of the woods which equates to a lot of silvercans, so your argument doesn't make sense (even if you have to buy a brushed system).

Really, stop trying to be patronising and appoint yourself judge of the R/C cosmos, there are plenty of people who know what they're doing and don't really need your help. And I have been racing long enough to know when the first Tamiya mini chassis (which incidentally I still own), came on the market, don't you worry.

Last edited by niznai; 08-27-2009 at 06:17 AM.