R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaraR40
45mm it is. this is the first i've ever dealt with rollout since 1/10th tires dont shrink. what sort of temps is the motor allowd to reach?
I wouldn't be nervous at all starting at 60mm with a 10.5 on a 100' X 100' track and plan on working my way up to 70-75mm. Maybe stop a couple times in your first run and check the temps, but I'd say starting at 45 is a bit TOO conservative unless testing time is unlimited for you.

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
For brushless 170*F is absolute max. Optimum is probably around 150-160.
I'd certainly agree with this. The other thing I've seen is that temps creep up and creep up until you get to or past the gearing "sweet spot" at which point they seem to ramp up pretty quickly to those middle 150's and beyond. It also seems (this on medium-sized tracks anyway) that if I'm in the 150's that I'm MAYBE a bit faster, lap time wise, than at lower temps but that the acceleration has decreased enough that I'm having to really sweep my corners to make those times. That's fine on your own but leaving the inside THAT exposed when you're dicing for position is just BEGGING somebody to barge up the inside and either a) take the line away from you (best that can happen), or b) drill you in the side as you turn in.

That's where the compromises begin to creep in to setup choices.