R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
auzzy_mate
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 17.5

Originally Posted by abailey21
What car are you running? TC, 12th, WGT?
I am running a TRF416 (with Spool and the large 40mm LRP motor fan) on rubber tyres.

I had a practice night last night (cool air temp as it is the back end of Winter here) and kept the car at 3.52 FDR (60/35 to get 56mm rollout). Our track is only the size of 2 tennis courts with 8/10 corners like hairpins.

I had my LRP Stock Spec ESC turned up to 6/8 for throttle profile for the first part of the session and motor temp was around 100f. I then turned the profile up to 8/8 and got about 2/10th extra a lap out of the car, with the temperatures about the same. I was getting the same lap times as I did with the Novak 17.5 at 3.3FDR (60mm rollout).

I know I can go up at least a couple of pinions to get more topend and the aggression of 8/8 on the ESC will allow me to keep a lot of the bottom-end.

Q1. I was wondering if there was a point where the SP17.5 just starts to underperform and just lose its punch (eg 3.4 or lower)?

Q2. Is there a risk of gearing too low (3.6/3.7) and the car overheating because it reaches the topend too quickly?

Ben