R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Josh Cyrul
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Everyone,

I'm here in Lostallo at the moment but I see some interesting things about the handling of the Photon...

For the over rotation of the Photon in the center of the corner - please test these things:

#1 - Move weight forward in the car. The Photon is a little rear heavy (especially with everyone stacking weight for the Lipo's). I balanced my car left/right and then added 3-4 of the 7g weight blocks beside the front spool to test with more weight forward. This helped this problem and smoothed the car out. Also, you can use a bigger spur/pinion combo to move the motor more forward and this may also help.

#2 - Test a front shock position a little more stood up, this will usually help with this also.

#3 - Mount the body a little further back on the car. It seems the Photon has enough steering in most all conditions but too much downforce on the front can cause you to adjust other set-up details making it difficult to get the low speed steering but high speed stability you may need. Make sure to run the rear wing further back as well as this will also help with stability.

#4 - Sounds quite odd but I'm finding the differential in the Photon may actually be too good...lol... It is super free and you can actually load the car over so far in the center of the corner that the inside rear wheel comes up - unloading the rear tire and allows the diff to free wheel (allows outside rear to accelerate) and suddenly the car will become loose in the center of a corner.... Give it a try, for sure you will have more on-throttle steering but also you should have a little less, more stable steering on entry and in the center of the corner...

Time for sleep... More 1/8 practice tommorow. Also, if anyone is interested in check out the 1/8 WC I am sure RedRC will be here next week and I will have live updates each night on our site - www.cefx.net

Later!!