R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Answer-RC Clutch Shoes, how are they?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 AM
GMVPSS
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mikenix
I wouldn't expect this from 1.1s(black)... maybe the .9 (gold), are you using the standard three shoe or the AE/TTR style? If you're using the standard three shoe 0001 please inspect the 1.0 (silver) springs for enough cast or bend. They might need a tweak to be perfect.
Mike,

Shoe set i am using are the 0001 version for XRay 808.

I have previously run the Black springs in front of a JX21 Ninja and have the over heating issue on shoes after a days racing (dark orange in colour after 4 x 6min heats and 30min main), so i installed the silver springs on a new set of shoes and no longer have the discoloring (heat) issue, although the flat spot due to springs engaging to early is another problem i am trying to sort ATM as it is holding the engine back out of every corner. (Looking at Ninja C heater v's the current L header on the car for more bottom end.)

I also noticed that even on new shoes the tail of the silver spring doesnt sit neatly in the groove on the shoe, in fact it is almost flush with the face of the shoe, meaning as the face wears the spring is wearing a groove into my clutch bells. I have considered bending the tail of the spring to better fit the shoe, or removing a couple of mm off the end of the spring as it is basically swinging in the breeze anyway.

As i have been having the silver springs engage at too low RPM and the black springs at too high rpm (causing the heat issue) i am going to try Mugan 1.0mm springs next time out and see if that works for me. The Mugan spring is also shaped differently and sits right down at the bottom of the spring groove, so should not effect the bell as the silver Answer springs currently are.

Not racing until next weekend but might get the car out for some practice this weekend and provide some feedback.

Darren