R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What do I need to do to maintain an RC car?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 PM
sokar
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by freestylinmotox
After run oil should be in there of course!!
It is.

For bearings, I spray wd-40 on them!! Works good. After each race day, i tear down my truggy/trucks. I remove the engine and electronics then spray the chassis' down with simple green and an air compressor! Sometimes its just good to tear everything apart and experiment with different setups (diff oil, ride height, etc.) until you find a setup you really like! I always check my clutch bearings after every race. You definitely dont want them to go out in the middle of a race. Locktite is another handy thing to have.
I don't race (yet), but thanks for the advice. For car cleaning, a compressor seems useless because the dirt binds with the oil and liquid to make a delightful muck, which the air compressor is useless against. for cleaning, I remove the servos and receiver, blast the shizz out of it with a hose, and coat everything in WD40 to prevent rust. Is this a good cleaning method?

As for bearings, I thought WD40 swelled them up, degreased them, and dried them which make them seize up and become useless. For bearings, I was under the impression you needed grease, not WD40. But I could be wrong.