R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Which is better: Afterrun oil or WD40?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Gary NJ
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
+1 thats the stuff I am talking about. I didnt like putting it through the fuel inlet. I take the plug out and dump in in the hole, after I make sure its clean. Then stuff a paper towel in the glow plug hole and spin the engine on the box. I do have one question. The instrucktions say to put 5cc in the engine. That is A LOT. If I fill up the tube to 5ml and then put that much oil in the engine it is harder than hell to start next time and it smokes for a min until the oil burns off. Is 5cc necessary? I could see if the engine was going to sit for months but 5cc seems excessive.

GMK ARO
Wow, I don't read RC Tech for a day and.....

You don't need to put 5cc of Afterlife into the engine. In the instructions I suggest drawing 5cc up into the syringe, but I say later on that 2cc is more than enough to coat the internals well. I just find the syringe works a little easier with a little extra liquid in it.

The plug, when its coated with Afterlife, is a little harder to light, and the engine will smoke a lot for a first few seconds after it starts. Sometimes I'll unscrew the plug and blow on it before starting, just to remove excess oil and make it a little easier to light off. The oil won't hurt the plug in any way.

I agree with the posters who recommend against using WD40 or MMM on engines with silicone ramped cranks - not a good idea.

Thanks to all of you have had positive experiences with Afterlife, and took the time to post. I appreciate your support!