R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - I need your inputs on 1/8 scale vs the rest...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Stirex
Tech Regular

Well to start when I started racing it was my little Frog that got me interested. Before long it was the gold plated RC10, then pan cars and on and on. When I ventured into offroad racing the RC10 worlds had just come out, still with the Alum chassis but black, and then the RC10t. After getting out of it for awhile and messing with my Tmaxx, NTC3 and Revo, I really wanted somewhere to race again. I just love the competetion.

I looked around for awhile and really only found 2 tracks within a couple hours drive from me. The majority of the cars run at these tracks are 1/8 buggies, some Truggies, and very few to no electrics. The few electrics we have are Spec class Slashes, or open SCT trucks. My local friends that race here have been discussing just buying some B4s or B44s and between the 3-5 of us, just having our own class. I do own an RC8T and love racing it (when its not broke or frustrating the hell out of me (and no, Im not bashing the RC8T, it breaks because I break it with bad driving). But each weekend between the attrition, the engines and tires is costing me roughly $200-$400 a month to race (gas, travel, taking vacation because they only race on Sundays and I work.)

I don't think that one scale or one discipline (Electric or Nitro) as a whole has killed one or the other, but as pointed out earlier, its what the majority of people, or what the tracks are running or made for. Additionally if I wanted to get into electric and be competitive you are looking at Car (RTR B4 compared to FT B4 on track is night and day), ESC, Motor, Radio, LiPo(s), and charger. In the end I could buy an RTR RC8T, RC8 RS, Losi 8ight, or even depending on the cost of the LiPos, motor or charger I choose, could even get the price up there to that of the 8ight 2.0 RTR. My view, rolling racer 1/10 electric at a competetion level, should not cost me no more the $200. I mean really its a 3rd of the material cost of the 1/8, but costs me about 1/2 the price of the 1/8.
Just for example:

Team Associated Factory Team B4 Buggy Kit $214.99 (what 3 year old design?)
(what 1/2 pound of plastics and a handful of metal parts)

Team Associated Factory Team RC8 (First Gen) can be found for $450
(total of 8 lbs of material, full Alum chassis, easily twice the titanium used, etc.. etc..) Honestly way more actual "material" for my money

Also as I look through my RC Mags, Im always seeing "Mayfield wins 1/8 (insert buggy/ truggy)", Cavalari wins 1/8 ..., Drake... Skelton.. and locally I have a few here also. So if all they are advertising is the pros racing 1/8 and not placing any emphasis on the Electric, then racing electric won't make me like the pro's. Or so the mentality goes. "Be like Mike" I mean really want to get the sport booming, put it on TV, with some quality not public access or something.

I dunno, Im sure I could rant on this for hours, just comes down to what the people in your area are racing, and what the Magazine's, Manufactures, and tracks are pushing.

Honestly, if they raced 1/10 scale buggies, or 4wd electrics, or trucks here I would be all for it. And if manufactures weren't charging me only $100 less for for a 1/10 compared to a 1/8 scale car... Nothing more relaxing then charging a battery, throwing it in the car, turning it on, and a way you go.
/rant

One other thing, really whats kinda hurting the sport right now... the economy... spend $400 on car... or worry about getting layed off next week or month...

Last edited by Stirex; 07-14-2009 at 12:32 AM.