R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI's DB12R
Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Clegg

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just some fun facts.

I have a CRC front end built up and am going to test it at some point here (as soon as the right bearings get delivered... the front Al Axels on this front end suck... who uses 3/16x5/16 bearings?!)

But I weighted the two to see how they compare:

BMI AE Dynamic front end - 34gm

CRC Pro-Strut front end - 40gm

So just adding on the CRC front end could add 6gm or more to the front of the car. Not a whole lot, but its something! I plan on getting the CRC front end built up to test on different track layouts and be able to swap the BMI front end with only swaping the turnbuckles and arm assy's themselves. Should be interesting to compare the two. I am pondering getting the long arm setup for the CRC to see how that feels.

Another thing of interest is that the BMI/AE main sterring block screws barely thread into the CRC arms... they went in very easy... but I notice that after taking them out that they barely cut a grove into the arms. This means they could strip quite easily. And you CANT use the CRC spec steering block screws, or Ti option ones they have. I bought a set of those and found out the hard way you cant use them on the BMI chassis. The reason is - the BMI screws have about 2.5mm of taper or cone on the head that seats in the chassis. This matches perfectly to the counter sinking on the chassis. The CRC screws have less than 2mm and are quite acute on how they taper in from the outside of the head. This means they woble in the chassis, damage the chassis, and dont screw in straight every time. I have 2 ovaled holes on my 4cell chassis for one of my steering blocks because they wobbled when I tapped the boards and ended up just eating the edge of the hole in the chassis. That was with the CRC Ti screws. All flat head screws are not made equal!