R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - I want out.
Thread: I want out.
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Frank L
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

This hobby is not cheap. It takes tools and parts to keep your machine running in top shape. I am always cleaning, changing diff oil, shock oil, bent screws, changing bearings, checking clutch shoes etc. You need a quality set of tools and a wealth of replacement parts to keep your machine in top shape. If you are not racing then you bought the right car. There is no sense in breaking the bank to toss around at a park. I find my monster truck is more fun at the park and my truggy is more fun at the track. The buggy you have will get you out and bashing just fine, but it will still take $$$ and maintenance. My 1st nitro vehicle was a kyosho STR us sports RTR. I have had electrics for 25+ years. I didnt read the instructions. I swapped out the radio and servos which cost as much as the truck. I fired it up and drove it out front. That lasted all of about 4-5 tanks. The engine blew a rod. I didnt break the engine in, I didnt tune it correctly, I had no air holes cut in the body. It was a RTR right/ wrong. Before 6 months had passed I had dumped hundreds of dollars into the RTR and it was just a few parts away from a full blown STR race version. Nitro vehicles take time and patience. Dont just throw in the towel, ask questions and learn. The learning curve is steep at first but it does get easier. I am not bad at tuning a nitro engine now 2 1/2 years later and I do pretty well at the track usually in the top 4.