R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - rebuilding an engine
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Jaz240
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
First I'm not flaming OS engines. However there cases have been suspect for a long time. That rear bearing should have fell out after 10 mins at 350 degrees. I just did 2 piccos and a Jammin and no problems with rear it always just fell out. However with the fronts you might have to use a little force not much.

Actually I'm for one glad to see you rebuilding it. Theses engines can be rebuilt time and time again as long as the case is in good shape. A dollar saved is a dollar saved no matter how you slice it.

P.S. Don't put your bearings in the freezer before you install them. It's not necessary and a real dumb idea. What happens when metal goes from below freezing to above 200 in seconds.
Originally Posted by Taylorm
......just did just that in my mega on-road motor......the wrong way is to force them in with a press/puller......you are wearing out the case....freeze them for 24 hours in a zip loc bag....heat case to 300 or so on a hot plate....put bearings on crank and they should drop right in with no force at all....it's called interference fit......

You both make very valid points. Now I am curious as to which way is better