R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Race Fuels???
Thread: Race Fuels???
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Gearhead racer
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Werks
Hey Marcus, I asked you some questions on the Torco thread regarding the evaporation test results that you posted with their fuel versus ours. You've posted a couple of times afterward on there without responding?? In any case I just caught your post here so I figured I would ask again on this thread as it is also a more general "race fuel" discussion and I don't want it to seem like I'm spamming their thread. Look forward to your response and if you would like please feel free to post it here instead.

On a completely separate note as far as the colored dye in fuel versus no dye in fuel debate that you guys are having here's my personal take on it. In the first place it definitely is not helping the performance of the fuel so why put it in there? Secondly who wants to have the inside of their engine dyed purple, red, orange, green or blue???

Over the years we've been the US importers for Collari Innotech, Picco, Lamberto Collari Motorsport and for the last 4-5 years produced our own Werks "Team Line" engines. I might look at things from a slightly different perspective as we are one of the very few companies in the world making engines that also produce fuel . In that time I've disassembled my self and/or seen broken down in pieces hundreds if not thousands of used (already run) car engines. Usually with any engine with more than a couple of gallons on it, it is quite easy to tell what fuel the owner has been using simply by looking at the color of all of the dye build up on the engine internals. I prefer not to have to try and remove that stuff when I'm working on/cleaning engines.

The lack of any performance benefit and discoloration of the internals is why several of the US made racing fuels (O'Donnell, our Werks, Gil's Nitrotane and Byrons (though it's G2 has a very, very slight tint to it)) are made as clear fuels. I also know of no European engine guys that dye their own fuel that they occasionally produce for their team drivers (at major races) nor do any of the top European performance racing fuels that I know of have dye's in them.

I've heard the argument that colored fuel is easier to see in the fuel gun and my response is simply that then your not pitting right because you should be doing this off of time not staring at the gun to hopefully see when the fuel stops flowing. The vast majority of the on-road guys use solid metal guns because they can modify the vent tubes to make them dump faster, cant see the fuel in a metal gun so the "stare at the gun technique" definitely does not work there either. Just put the tip of the gun in the tank, pull the trigger and count to 3, drop car and your done. It's not rocket science.

The reality of the matter is that here in the US a significant amount of the fuels produced under several brands are dyed a certain color simply because they all use one brand of oil which comes pre-dyed that color from the company that manufactures it. That's it, the no spin answer. Nothing more nothing less, no thought involved in the whole process... simply no choice.
hum....