R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Cup Racer 1M
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
snoopyrc
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by five&dime
That's the kind of advice I was looking for. I remember several of my nitro's used to just take off on me which almost always led to them running head on into a tree or wall

I like the thought of hard drift tires. Is that all that's necessary for drifting? I saw on a site that there is a drift package for the cup racer but I didn't see any details.

I am still lost on motors.
Electrics with electronic speed controls usually wont dart off like that, but if you are going to be playing in the midst of all those nice hot rods, you will feel more secure if you know you have a solid radio system. Any DSM will do. Spektrum, KO, or Futaba are the most popular brands with DSM. All Spektrum radios are DSM. Spektrum also makes conversions for KO and Futaba.

Drift tires, there are setup changes that you can make to let it drift easier. But you can cut it sideways, and kick it with just the tires and some decent power. Maybe a little skill. I think it comes quickly if you like to see it sideways but thats just me. I wouldnt consider myself a drift head or an import car nut, but I like to see the thing slide.

Motors - If you are buying a whole system, go brushless. If you already have some stuff then you might want to stay compatible with some of your existing gear. Brushless is just easier to deal with. It keeps its edge without much maintenance at all.

checkout www.groovydrift.com to get up to speed on drifting. Its just a good place to read up and get ideas.