R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Rich Browne
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoDog
It was early in the day, during practice so the bite on the track had not come up yet. It kinda shows how much easier the electric was to drive on a dusty track in comparison to the nitro cars. A smoother torque curve and not having a clutch to snap the drivetrain makes the electric cars a breeze to drive.

One more comment regarding the use of a diff on an 1/8th scale. These cars have been around and in development for decades. They have been driven and tuned by the best of the best. These guys are some of the most innovative racer/developers in the world so they're only concern is to be faster and smarter than their competition. You can rest assured that they have seen and done it all. Some of the things they've tried would make the hair on the back of you neck stand up. I've been around this hobby for close to 20 years and the stories if heard...

Well, simply put as Rich Browne said, "If it made the car any faster, we would be using it".
Typically, we only drive these cars on a prepared racing surface with plenty of traction. They simply won't drive worth s#*t on a dusty playground or parking lot. That's the only place the diff would be of help but we don't race there. So the current setup (solid rear and front oneway) is the way to go.

I hope this clears things up a little.

The speed controls we are using in 1/8th electric are very sophisticated. I am really enjoying the "tuneablity" of these devices. We are using the MMM and the sensored discussion is a non-issue.

The more time I spend on the tuning on the electronics, frankly, the more impressed I am becoming. For 10th scale we are using the KOPRO device - I like the ability to adjust the frequency - very stellar concept. But, the Castle, it's the bomb, for ease of setup and intuitive interface. The Castle has a better front end - the KOPRO seems to be more flexible in execution.

Both just haul ass.

Rick (YoDog) is right, once you know how to setup an 1/8th On-Road - you can put a ton of power down. You should see the drive train components after a One Hour event with a really good driver operating. Geez, these things take some massive stresses.