R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Redwood
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlueEagle
This seems like a bad idea for the possible effects on your drivetrain.

If you account for the fact that the battery side of the chassis is braced by the battery "strap", I wonder if this negates the asymmetry. I imagine the battery strap provides a lot more stiffness than what is lost from having the battery holes.
I see your point here, and it can be concerning to think that you motor and spur might separate under high flex.

I have considered what 'high flex' is though, and if you take your car and attampt to flex it around the centreline, it is not easy, it takes considerable force to feel and effect at all. If you then consider that optimum gear mesh has a gap between spur and pinion, then there is room for movement between the two without much loss of power (I suspect, perhaps it is significant, but my instinct is that is is almost trivial).

As for the battery bar, I am running lipo with a cuboid shape, and if I screw either thumbscrew too tightly down then the battery strap simply bends at the end. This cannot be good for flex/tweak. So I tighten them till they will not come off, but not so much that it would start to add to chassis flex. Also the bottom of the thumbscrews are bevelled, which will deflect any flex/torque.

There is another way to tackle this problem. I saw some guys running new, custom bulkheads, which can be seen here:

www DOT aeforums.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3647 (apologies, my post count is not yet high enough)

They attach the motor to the bulkhead directly, and the motor 'floats'. The guys I talked to were impressed by them, and they look good to me, but I have other things on my wish list ahead of these for now.

I believe there was already a discussion about them in this thread before though, so I would recommend looking back for it.

Regards

Neal