R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 01:16 PM
stormperson
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They might seem similar however, the difference of their details is huge.

Front end (since its the most obvious): the Rev. 3 includes the old style front end, which is extremely simple and tweak free. The new style front end included in the CRC is very hard to built correctly. It binds in every place, the castor is never even on both sides (if you set them up with equal shims), and it tweaks and gets easily ruined, not a fun time.

Rear end pivot: The difference might seem tiny however, its very important. The rev. 3 uses side links that are adustable to make sure that the rear end pivots smoothly and equally on both sides. The CRC uses un-adjustable side links, and instead makes the adjustment directly at the pivot, and is held in place by friction when a nut is tightened down (not very confidence inspiring in an accident, since it can move). Also the CRC has sky high roll centers because it needs ballstuds to mount the side-links. a high roll center makes the car much more difficult to drive as well as slower. The reason it does this (and stay with me here, its kinda bad explanation... sorry its been a long day, lol), is because it allows the chassis to transpher the weigh of the car in a corner, so it commits to the corner, and makes it feel heavier and not nearly as nible (its much harder to drive because you cannot just throw the car into a corner, you have to set up for it). Sometimes a decently high roll center is good (and the Rev. 3 has three different heights, and you could make more if you wanted to), however the CRC is more than double the height of the meduim Rev. 3 one, and thats why the CRC drivers that i have talked to have as of late run side links almost identical to Speedmerchants to get their roll center down. (WOW thats a long paragraph, lol)

damper tubes: the CRC are aluminuim, which in a crash will bend, they are also much heavier (and thicker). The Rev. 3 uses very durable and consistant (they are all machined) damper tubes. Just and FYI the new ones are all black and are much better than the old ones (which had some white, either plungers or ballcups) which were made by bolink. I have done alot of testing with bolink, crc and speedmerchant tubes and found the Speedmerchant ones to be the best.

Also the Rev.3 has adjustable battery position, which is a great tuning aid, and huge in 12th scale (much more so than even in sedan).

I should really type this up and make the explanaiton finished and then just paste it onto the forum when anyone asks, lol.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!